Energy Management System
An energy management system (EMS) is a system of computer-aided tools used by operators of electric utility grids to monitor, control, and optimize the performance of the generation and/ortrans mission system. The monitor and control functions are known as SCADA; the optimization packages are often referred to as “advanced applications”.
The computer technology is also referred to as SCADA/EMS or EMS/SCADA. In these respects, the terminology EMS then excludes the monitoring and control functions, .
but more specifically refers to the collective suite of power network
applications and to the generation control and scheduling applications
State-of-the-art Plant Information Management applications:
- Integrated plant condition-based maintenance tools
- Plant output and emissions monitoring
- Integrated energy (gas, steam and electricity) and emissions optimisation
- Plant contract financial settlement
- Plant portfolio management tool